Thursday, November 4, 2010

Passing on some Memories at Kid U

I had a great childhood! I grew up constantly learning new crafts... macrame, knitting, crocheting, sewing, bead making, potholder-loom-thingy, ceramics, leather making, etc. My mom was awesome (and still is). She basically taught CRAFTS for a living... how cool is that! I can still picture in my mind her big giant silkscreening machine, and her giant LOOM where she was weaving a rug or something, and let us give it a try. Even now, she has a KILN in her garage and still comes to church to teach crafts to our kids on Wednesday nights as often as possible. Right now, I'm teaching a jewelry making class at Kid U on Wednesday nights, and my girls are making their own beads out of the long paper triangles. Remember those? I'm feeling quite "retro" because I remember my mom teaching me how to make those when I was younger. The girls were very excited that you could make your own beads out of paper and glue! It will take us a few weeks to make the beads before we string them onto some cool bracelets or necklaces! It's fun (and a privilege) to pass along what we've learned to others! I love my girls and I sure love my job!




No comments: